* 23 December, Saturday 4pm - Crib Service, a telling of the Christmas Story for pre-schoolers and families, at St Augustine's Church, 5 Cracroft Tce: the third of their seasonal events, staugustines.org.nz - full notice:
Cashmere News Diary: 23 December 2017 - community awards, Merry Xmas
* 24 December, Sunday 11am-6pm - Quiet Space at Christmas, Cashmere Presbyterian Church, 2 Macmillan Ave, cashmerechurch.org.nz - Christmas events full notice:
* 25 December, Monday - Merry Christmas all Cashmere families and friends! - CRA wishes you every enjoyment of this festive holiday.
* 1 January, Monday - a Happy New Year to all readers - wishing you a safe
and very happy holiday season.
* 17 January, Wednesday 7.30pm - next Cashmere Residents' Association
committee meeting, resident input invited - contact CRA by reply email.
* 18 February, Sunday 12pm - Cashmere connection, preparedness planning /
community resilience lunch, at Cashmere Green with Presbyterian Centre,
Red Cross, emergency services and CREST support. All welcome.
Notices / updates
* We now have a social media hub for daily interaction - https://www.facebook.com/groups/CashmereNZ - If you have any local news to share by email, please send it in to CRA in reply.
* Christmas function, Cashmere/Port Hills Community & Business Association (CPHCBA) Ltd, 16 December at Sign of the Takahe - event report.
* A resident asks what community entertainment use could be made of the Sign of the Takahe, now repaired but empty. Any advice or statement of interest is welcome. The City owns it and seeks a lessee.
* Malthouse Theatre history tour - We are still gathering the numbers to do this, one Saturday or Sunday afternoon in 2018 - let us know if you'd like to join in, by reply email or telephone please.
* Hackthorne / Dyers Pass Road intersection, considered dangerous for pedestrians and motorists - Spreydon-Cashmere Community Board await a staff report, to help decide future action. Please send us your views on this. The Cashmere School view is that children have poor role models, in the way adults are having to walk around this point, regarding road safety.
* Spreydon-Cashmere Edible Garden Awards - Nominations open now, can now be made from now until 12 February (ask first if you want to nominate someone else or a group, as an assessment visit in March is involved). All types and stages of edible garden welcome - anyone who is having a go. To find out more and get a nomination form online:
* Christchurch Adventure Park is reopened, off Worsley's Road - christchurchadventurepark.com.
* List of exercise classes available locally - to be circulated early 2018.
* Cashmere buses - a return of more service is essential for the less mobile in our area. CRA invites your input via a working party. Please contact Jan Webster 3322893 or reply by email to show support. Thank you.
* Predator-Free Port Hills, Cashmere project - thank you to the Summit Road Society and all residents who have volunteered help with pest trapping. Further inquiries welcome where pests are encountered, via firstname.lastname@example.org - To participate in the project, please register and "Request membership" on the Pest Trap NZ, Cashmere GIS page trap.nz/project/251462/info noting what you'd like to do. Then contribute by adding data: trap type, location, bait & catches etc. More Predator-Free Cashmere / NZ project info is on cashmere.org.nz home page.
* Hot-water cylinder / gas unit problems - chchwater.wordpress.com holds all CRA's information on this widespread concern; feedback is welcome for writing further blog posts noting ways of resolving hot-water supply faults.
* Cashmere Residents' Emergency Support Team - CREST - Cashmere Community Response Plan, see cashmere.org.nz/CREST for digital copy. Thanks to Red Cross for project support
redcross.org.nz/what-we-do/in-new-zealand/recovery-2010-2017/promoting-resilience : CREST enquiries via Cashmere Presbyterian, Cashmere School or Cashmere Residents' Association. Stay safe - getthru.govt.nz.
* A very big thank you to all Cashmere Residents and CREST community partners: Cashmere Primary School, Cashmere Presbyterian Church, Christchurch City Council Strengthening Communities, Canterbury Neighbourhood Support, Kidsfirst Cashmere Kindergarten, Cashmere Cuisine,
Cup Cafe, Emperors New Clothes Cafe, Zeroes Cafe, Cashmere Super Dairy, Kaizuka Giftshop, Una Bakery, Quick Stop Liquor, Swanlake Lotus at Siam Healthcare Spa emergency spring-water source, Computer Help NZ, and to all our local volunteers and supporters - Thank you very much!
* Past CRA email Cashmere News is indexed near page-top here, FYI: www.cashmere.org.nz.
* CRA Subscriptions 2017/18 - Association membership and renewals, at the household rate of $10 per year, can be made via our Kiwibank a/c 38.9005.0688810.02 - Donations help increase service and are very much appreciated. Please notify deposit by email, for confirmation by our Treasurer, and a receipt will be issued if requested: email@example.com. Or post to CRA Treasurer, c/o 112 Hackthorne Road, Christchurch 8022.
Thanks again for your support of CRA and its work. Stay safe, happy summer
holidays to you all!
Thanks to local entrepreneur Leta Quartermain, a celebration event reopened our treasured local landmark -
stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/100016313/inaugural-awards-unite-community - bestowing the following awards:
Sign of the Packhorse - Fire and Emergency NZ assistant area commander Steve Kennedy - service representative, with a great many thanks.
Sign of the Kiwi - Evelyn Harding - volunteer efforts, Dame Ngaio Marsh Garden, channelling "the spirit of the kiwi" by acting without wishing for recognition.
Sign of the Bellbird - Jennifer Hollands of Cashmere Gallery - flowers for community groups and events.
Sign of the Takahe - Jim Anderton - service to community, country, and to conserving built heritage.
Harry Ell - Jennifer Barrer - indigenous plant preservation and gardens, heritage identity, creative arts.
CRA extends very warm congratulations to all award recipients and especially thanks Eve Harding, for her long community work including on our committee.
Pictured: Jenny Barrer with her award at the Takahe. Jenny's recent book may be found here.
Continuation of the awards event is planned. The CPHCBA is found at web.facebook.com/groups/1282415251857161/
332-1069 / 027-406-0077
Chair pp CRA Committee
Cashmere Residents' Association (CRA)
Back to CRA link hub / home page