Cashmere News Diary: 3 November 2013 - Cashmere Community Barbecue
Greetings All. A reminder for today and the active month
* 3 November, Sunday 3-5pm, Cashmere Presbyterian Church Centre front lawn - Neighbourhood Week community barbecue and exercise of our local emergency support plan. Refreshments, activities and information from Civil Defence and associated agencies. Children's play facility onsite. Come join us for a snack and a chat, and enjoy meeting more neighbours. Run by CREST**
* 12 November, Tuesday 7.30pm, Cashmere Residents'
Association Annual General Meeting - drinks and nibbles from 7pm. 7.30pm
AGM: reports & officer elections. 8pm speakers: Prof. Bryan Jenkins -
Lower Avon Heritage Trail Project; Margaret Sweet - Friends of Ngaio Marsh
House; an update on CREST followed by an open community forum.
* 27 November, Wednesday 1.30pm, **CREST - Cashmere Residents' Emergency Support Team - our local preparedness group seeks a range of volunteer skills - meets at Cashmere Presbyterian Church and all are welcome to attend. CREST is developing the Cashmere community response plan. The committee meets at 1.30pm at Cashmere Church on the last Wednesday of each month. except December. Ongoing commitment is being secured from equal partners at the round table, identified so far as: Cashmere Residents' Association, Cashmere Presbyterian Parish, St Augustine's Anglican Church, Christchurch West Rotary, Cashmere School, and Christchurch City Council Civil Defence and Emergency Management. The list of participant groups is soundly just started, and individual contributions are equally welcome; for example, do we have an electrician who is reading this notice and could help CREST, with wiring a generator etc, if local electricity fails? CREST committee has formed to increase local preparedness and resilience, to organise for Neighbourhood Week each year, and new members are invited to join. Next meeting is Wednesday 27 Nov, 1.30pm at the Cashmere Church Centre. Civil Defence is encouraging a team of volunteers to become our ready-responders, with a local hall cup of tea, contact point and reassurance, in the event of emergency. Neighbourhood Week 2013 has been an opportunity to test our response capacity. Details of our Cashmere emergency plan so far are here: http://www.cashmere.org.nz/news/Cashmere-Emergency-News-20Jun2013.html We are setting in motion the work needed to develop this plan more fully. Contact CRA or the Church if willing to help, and attend on the given dates please. Thank you to those who have come forward already. Forming a Cashmere Time Bank will be considered next.
* CRA committee - always open to new members and ideas, meets monthly on the third Wednesday at 7.30pm. The AGM on 12 Nov is an opportunity to refresh the committee. Please consider joining, to help build the active community we need and that has such long traditions. The work we are doing with our local community is exactly the kind specified in the Mayoral Forum on Christchurch Resilience, held at CCC Hereford St on 2 November 2013, as crucial to strong recovery as learned from the Hurricane Katrina experience in New Orleans, USA.
* CRA Subscriptions 2013/14 -
Association membership and renewals, at the household rate of $5 per year,
can be made in person at AGM, or via our Kiwibank a/c 389005.0688810.02 -
Please notify deposit by email, for confirmation by our Treasurer, and a
receipt will be issued if requested: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Until soon then, thank you for your support of CRA, and enjoy the warming season.
CRA Chair, 332-1069
Cashmere Residents Association (CRA)
Back to CRA home page