Cashmere News Diary: 5 March 2014 - flood alert + supplement
* 5 March, Wednesday Christchurch City Council flood alert - #1:
#2 - extracts from Port Hills Newsletter:
Geotechnical engineers are out across the Port Hills checking and monitoring known mass movement areas following heavy rain.
Christchurch City Council has asked engineers to check these areas and immediately advise residents of any concerns about ground movement or slope instability. Up to 20 geotechnical consultants have been working since early this morning. Emergency procedures will be followed if any issues of concern are found. They will continue monitoring known risk areas throughout the day.
At this stage, the rainfall has only caused small localised subsidence.
The Council is asking people in hillside areas to be vigilant, and keep an eye out for any tell tale signs of mass movement, including:
If you notice any changes, or have any concerns, please call the Council’s call centre on 941 8999, or 0800 800 169.
If you believe there is a risk to life, call 111 and self-evacuate.
There will be another update later in the day.
Teams from CERA are monitoring the situation in the Residential Red Zone and have offered to assist people who needed to evacuate.
Staff are also keeping watch for any issues in areas of concern in the Port Hills.
Road closures covered by temporary traffic
• Main Road, Sumner
• State Highway 75 − Little River to Duvauchelles
• New Brighton Rd, Burwood−Queensbury
• Owles Tce, Seaview−Union
• Locksley Ave, Gayhurst−Glenarm been sent back to McBratneys
• Banks Ave, Coopers−North Parade
• Hills Rd, Warrington−Warden
• Fitzgerald Ave, north bound, Kilmore−Cambridge
• Avonside Dr, Wainoni−Torlesse
• Richardson Tce, Ferry−Opawa
• Clarendon Tce, Radley−Opawa
• Aynsley Tce, Opawa−Centaurus
• Smith St
• Fifield Tce, all
• Riverlaw Tce, all
• Eastern Tce, all
• Waimea Tce, all
• Aldwins Rd, Ferry-Linwood
• Canterbury St, at Days Rd
• Slater St, Shirley-Warden
• Warrington St, Hills-Barbadoes
• Aylesford St, Hills-Westminster
• Flockton St, Warrington-Westminster
• Carrick St, all
• Speight St, all
• Thornton St, all
• Archer St, all
• Squire St, all
• Harrison St, all
• Edward Ave, Geraldine-Barbadoes
• Edgeware Rd, Hill-Barbadoes
• Dyers Pass Rd, Summit−Governors Bay
• Summit Rd, Hilltop-Pigeon Bay Rd
• Pigeon Bay Rd, all
• Ensors Rd, south bound, Ferry-Brougham
• Maces Rd, at Ruru
• Durham St, Gloucester to Cashel, detour to Park Tce
• Chancellor St
• Severn St
• Thames St, at Innes
• Mountbatten St
• Palatine Tce
• Waterloo Rd / Kissell St intersection
• Barrington St, at the mall
• Albert Tce
* 7 March, Friday 4.30-7.30pm - Twilight Fair at Cashmere Primary School, 135 Hackthorne Road - artisan and farmers' market, produce, foodstalls, crafts, jewellery, etc. Support this important local facility's fund-raiser and have some fun! Always a well-attended event.
* 9 March, Sunday 3pm - Cracroft-Chase vineyard tour, 110 Shalamar Drive - $10 per head for tasting & nibbles. Please reply to committee email to book your places in the CRA group by Friday 7 March, or via Rik on 332-1069. All welcome. Wine orders for a bulk purchase discount can be placed via Leona on 337-2051. Selections can be viewed here: http://www.cracroftchase.co.nz
* 12 March, Wednesday 5.30-7.30pm - Christchurch City Council's District Plan review public meeting, at the Cashmere Club, 50 Colombo St - Spreydon-Heathcote community consultation: the Barrington key activity centre, housing densification, transport planning etc. http://www.ccc.govt.nz/thecouncil/policiesreportsstrategies/districtplanning/districtplanreview/index.aspx
* 15 March, Saturday 9.30am-4.30pm - Natural Hazards 'Our changing environment - the risks and challenges of living with natural hazards', free community forum at the Salvation Army Hall, 250 Colombo Street, Sydenham. Christchurch City Council public meeting - http://www.ccc.govt.nz/naturalhazards/ = http://resources.ccc.govt.nz/files/thecouncil/policiesreportsstrategies/districtplanning/districtplanreview/livingwithhazards-seminarmar2014.pdf
* 18 March, Tuesday 7.30pm - Bus issues / public passenger transport advocacy group, at Whareora Community House, 8 Athelstan St in Spreydon, opposite Barrington Mall - a new initiative to try and improve the services and facilities in south Christchurch. All welcome. http://www.facebook.com/events/680238678707528/
* 19 March, Wednesday 7.30pm - next Cashmere Residents' committee meeting - contact Rik with agenda items or for venue.
* 26 March, Wednesday 7.30pm CREST - Cashmere Residents' Emergency Support Team - our local preparedness group next meets at Cashmere Presbyterian Centre hall, 2 Macmillan Ave. This is CREST's first evening meeting - usually at 1.30pm on the last Wednesday of each month except December. Local volunteer skills and resources inter-network. All input very welcome.
* 8 April, Tuesday 8pm - Cashmere Vision and Values, phase 2 workshop facilitated by Mary Richardson, at Cashmere Presbyterian Centre hall. 7pm drinks, nibbles and conversation. 7.30pm an update from Margaret Sweet on Dame Ngaio Marsh House. 8pm V&V workshop: how should CRA maintain itself, especially its internet communications and portfolios etc, into the future? - for meeting the Vision goals set out and agreed in 2009: http://www.cashmere.org.nz/cashmere.pdf.
Updates & Notices
* Rock wall repairs - Council has been asked via Spreydon-Heathcote Community Board, for more information re the lower Hackthorne Road wall repair project. Pending. Retention of the original rock is critical when residents are wanting a full wall restoration. A public information seminar on retaining walls is planned, coming soon.
* Home for sale - Gorgeous, sun filled 2 double bedroom townhouse at 1 Longhurst Terrace. Located at the foot of Victoria Park, with excellent views of the city to the Alps. Deadline sale 4pm Tuesday 18 March (unless sold prior). Further queries, see the Trademe listing or call Heidi on 021-816-102.
* Past CRA email news is indexed near page-top here, FYI: http://www.cashmere.org.nz
* CRA Subscriptions 2013/14 - Association membership and renewals, at the household rate of $5 per year, can be made via our Kiwibank a/c 389005.0688810.02 - Please notify deposit by email, for confirmation by our Treasurer, and a receipt will be issued if requested: email@example.com.
Stay warm, take care.
CRA Chair, 332-1069
Cashmere Residents Association
Back to CRA home page